I just got back last night from a weekend in Door County, WI. I was recovering from a cold and much to my chagrin, there was something in the house that we'd rented for the weekend that I was highly allergic to and spent a lot of time feeling rather miserable because I was sneezing, congested, and my nose was running incessantly.
Anyways, I was there with 14 other people, of whom I knew 2. I had met 3 others at Christine's wedding in May. That left 9 people that I had never laid eyes upon.
What was so striking to me about the weekend (aside from how pickin' cold it gets out there in the Fall! I was so glad that I don't live there!) was just how amazing it is to be part of the body of Christ. On Friday night, we sat around and sang worship songs together while Yoshi played guitar. There's something incredible about worshipping the Lord together, and I think that experience brings unity about, regardless of how well you know (or do not know) the people you are with.
There's also a connection that we have that I wouldn't have with someone who wasn't a fellow believer. Much like how I value having people around me that I don't have to explain things to (i.e., fellow Asian Americans), it's the same with fellow believers.
There aren't many who are as crazy as I am to go that far for just a weekend, but because I wanted to hang out with my good friend, Christine, I also got to know some really awesome people who are friends of friends! (Yeah, I know, this flaming extrover can't help but expand her circle!) It's a bummer they all live so far away! But, at least I know that if my path were to never cross again with any of theirs, I'll see them on the other side, in eternity!
Thanks, Christine, for your friendship over the years. I can't believe I've known you for so long! Thanks for being there over the years and for being open and honest about who you are, and where you are. Thanks for listening to me ramble on about my frustrations with singleness.
If it weren't for you, I never would've met Heidi at your wedding! Thanks, Heidi, for including me in your getaway this weekend.
And thanks to everyone who came with to Door County this past weekend for making me feel so welcomed! I have memories that will not be soon forgotten!
_______________________________________
Things I'm thankful for: opportunities that I have to travel, see new places and meet new people; my house and awesome roommates and being able to have people over whenver I want; a job that I enjoy and allows me to use my gifts; parents who have been so incredibly generous to me; that I have 2 adorable godsons who make me realize just how much work parenthood is (and, for the moment, glad that I'm not there!); my close friends who support me in the good, the bad, and the ugly; and most importantly, that I have a relationship with the Lord, Jesus Christ, however imperfect I am and will continue to be, for His grace and mercy in my life, for the forgiveness that He bestows upon me when I repent, for the ways He has changed me and molded me into who I am today and how He will continue to do so in ways that I can't even fathom.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home