Thursday, May 22, 2008

Such tragedy

My heart goes out to Steven Curtis Chapman and his family, on the loss of their youngest daughter, Maria.

The loss of a life so young is such a tragedy and so sad. I don't know them, didn't know her, and yet I shed tears.

But there's so much more to the tragedy, as her teenage brother who was driving the SUV that struck her, will have to live with this for the rest of his life.

I found an article on The Post Chronicle's website and the writer, Mike Baron, closed his article with this:

"It goes without saying that the family will appreciate prayers at this time of turmoil. If you are inclined to prayer, please pray especially for the teen boy, who must now live with this tragedy for the rest of his life."

I shared this with my friend, Big Mel, who had not heard the news, and she said something very profound:

"i'm glad they believe in God b/c only He can help him get over that."

What a true statement. Without God, there would only be despair and guilt, and no hope of being able to get past this tragedy.

Only God could use this situation for good and to bring more people to Him through it. I pray for Steven Curtis Chapman and his family and the ways that He will use them to shine His light to the world in, through, and because of this tragedy.

And for those of you who have children, and especially daughters, don't miss those "Cinderella" moments that Steven Curtis Chapman wrote about in his song:

Cinderella

She spins and she sways
To whatever song plays
Without a care in the world
And I'm sitting here wearing
The weight of the world on my shoulders

It's been a long day
And there's still work to do
She's pulling at me
Saying "Dad, I need you

There's a ball at the castle
And I've been invited
And I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone...

She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed
She wants to know if I approve of the dress
She says, "Dad, the prom is just one week away
And I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

She will be gone

Well, she came home today with a ring on her hand
Just glowing and telling us all they had planned
She says, "Dad, the wedding's still six months away
But I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

How could he have known, when he wrote the song with his 2 youngest, adopted daughters in mind, that one of them would really be gone a year or two later?

The clock struck midnight for Maria Sue Chapman and she is gone.

But, we have the hope and the confidence that the Chapman family will be reunited with her on the other side.

It might seem too cliché to say that, and it may not seem like it'd bring any comfort. And while the only people in my family that I've lost, so far, have been all my grandparents and one uncle, I can say that with my one grandfather, my dad's dad (who was my favorite grandparent and the first to pass away), I can say that it did bring me comfort to know that I would get to see him again, in heaven.

I'm especially praying for her brother. Not sure if it was Caleb or Will Franklin. But, he needs our prayers to get through this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home